The urban design critic at the San Francisco Chronicle gives the home base of Sightglass Coffee glowing reviews for the creative urban reuse of an older building that once housed a sign-making shop. John King describes the company’s headquarters and retail location at 270 Seventh St. as “a multilevel shrine to artisinal coffee.”
Sightglass moved into the 1925 building last winter. Writes King:
The thick concrete exterior was changed not at all, but a few steps past the sidewalk place you in a sharp contemporary world. The new vestibule is framed by floor-to-ceiling glass within clean lines of black steel. The counter to the right is reclaimed baywood atop a base of paneled zinc.
After discussing the restoration project with Seth Boor of Boor Bridges Architecture, the design firm behind the renovation, King praises the quality of addition by subtraction at the facility, which houses roasting and retail cafe operations:
A blue-collar shell has been fine-tuned with 21st century pride. The only structural change beyond the vestibule are the round black columns added to brace the mezzanine. Most of the work was subtraction – clearing out drywall partitions, opening up the space along the sidewalk.
For the full story, including photos: San Francisco Chronicle