The group suggested earlier this month that the fate of the 2021 show, which was scheduled to take place in June in Athens, Greece, was uncertain. The group says it is exploring ways to carry out the 2021 World Coffee Championships.
An email letter sent to SCA members moments ago and signed by SCA CEO Yannis Apostolopoulos said the show would be returning to Athens in 2023 following the 2022 event in Warsaw, Poland. As of now, the group is continuing to move forward with its largest United States gathering, the Specialty Coffee Expo, scheduled to take place this September in New Orleans.
Individuals and organizations affected by the cancelations can find pertinent contact information here.
Here is the meat of the SCA letter.
Dear members and friends of the SCA,
Today we are announcing the cancellation of the 2021 World of Coffee (WOC) trade show, scheduled to take place in Athens this June, due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. We are continuing to pursue an alternative solution for the 2021 World Coffee Championships (WCC), which were to take place at the WOC trade show, and we will have more information on that subject in the coming weeks.
We are sad to cancel WOC but remain committed to doing what is best for the health of our staff and the many thousands of professionals that come together at this event every year.
On February 4, we announced that we were in conversations with our partners regarding the viability of moving forward with the 2021 events in Athens. Over the past few weeks, we’ve had talks with government and health officials in Athens, exhibitors, sponsors, competitors, judges, and many community members regarding the viability of holding the event. We want to thank every one of you for your patience and support as we assessed the situation and came to the final decision.
Our updated 2021-2023 trade show and world competitions schedule is as follows:
Specialty Coffee Expo (North American trade show)
- September 30 – October 3, 2021: New Orleans, LA, United States
- April 7-10, 2022: Boston, MA, United States
- April 20-23, 2023: Portland, OR, United States
World of Coffee (European trade show)
- June 16-18, 2022: Warsaw, Poland
- June 22-24, 2023: Athens, Greece
World Coffee Championships
- November 19-22, 2021: World Latte Art Championship, World Coffee in Good Spirits Championship, and World Coffee Roasting Championship – Taipei City, Taiwan
- We seek alternative solutions for the 2021 World Barista Championship, World Brewers Cup, World Cup Tasters Championship, and Cezve/Ibrik Championship. More information in the coming weeks.
For the full listing of upcoming events, visit our events calendar here: https://sca.coffee/events/.