Welcome to DCN’s weekly roundup of coffee events. Hosting an online event that’s free or nearly free to attend? Let us know here.
Coffee Break: A Virtual Cafe to Support Local Coffee Through the Coronavirus
- Host: Multiple meetups/locations
- Day/Time: Daily at various times depending on region
- Register/Information: Coffee Break Website
- Description: COFFEE BREAK’S mission is to bring people together from all walks of life to support their local cafes and coffee companies during this challenging time. Do you buy coffee? Do you have a favorite local cafe you go to multiple times a week? Then this is for you. Come meet up with your favorite baristas and friends, drink homemade coffee, talk with one another and if you can, donate a few dollars and/or buy coffee and merchandise online.
Virtual Brewalongs with Perc Coffee
- Host: Perc Coffee Roasters
- Day/Time: Daily at 8 a.m. EDT
- Register/Information: Facebook page
- Description: Each morning, the PERC Coffee team is welcoming everyone into our homes for virtual brewalongs. We want to interact, answer questions, and just share our love of coffee! We’re brewing up the good stuff in just about every brewer known to man! Catch us on both Facebook Live and Instagram Live @perccoffee each morning at 8am!
RNY Lab Community Meeting
- Host: Royal New York (RNY)
- Day/Time: Monday-Friday, 3-4 p.m. Eastern
- Register/Information: RNY Lab
- Description: The RNY Lab Community Meeting is a place for all of us to come together and share our ideas, challenges, successes, as well as share needed resources and information as they become available. At the RNY Lab, we don’t want to pretend we have all the answers, especially in terms of the current situation. We are all learning every day as a community, so we need you, all of you, to help support each other the best we can.
- Notes: This meeting is hosted daily at 3pm EST with a rotating topic but, anyone is welcome to bring other topics to the meeting as well! Also, topic suggestions can be entered here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Q66XPNW
- Host: Bocca Coffee
- Day/Time: Tuesdays and Thursdays at 12 (Amsterdam, CET)
- Register/Information: Bocca Coffee Blog
- Description: Every Tuesday and Thursday at 12h we host the Bocca Broadcast live on Instagram. Our head of Wholesale Education Job talks about different topics such as roasting, brewing filter coffee at home, cold drinks, tea etc. The specific topics for the upcoming weeks are mentioned on our blog.
Tuesday, April 21
Expert insights: CoV impacts and solutions on the supply chain
- Host: Cropster
- Time: 5 p.m. (Amsterdam, Berlin, Rome, Stockholm, Vienna)
- Register/Information: Zoom
- Description: All sectors of the coffee supply chain are affected by the current crisis. In this session, renowned coffee industry experts will talk about the impact on their sector, discuss potential scenarios of future development and discuss potential paths for adaptation to reduce the impact on all. The goal is to bring perspectives across the supply chain to help you plan and prepare for today and tomorrow. Presenters/Panel:
- Adam Overton, Gesha Village
- Geoff Watts, Intelligentsia Coffee
- Nadine Rasch, Primavera Coffee
- Violeta Stevens, Union Hand Roasted
- Morten Wennersgaard, Nordic Approach
- Richard Bliault, Algrano
- Andy Benedikter, Cropster
DJ Disarray Live every Tuesday Night!
- Host: DJ Disarray
- Time: 7-9 p.m. Pacific
- Register/Information: DJ Disarray
- Description: So while this isn’t technically a coffee event, everyone loves good music, and the feller behind the turntables is none other than Ray of Unpacking Coffee and Needmore Designs fame. Tune in every week and chill out with good vibes, pleasing tunes, and good humor!
- Notes: It’s every Tuesday from 7-9PM PDT! Until all this crap is over!!
Wednesday, April 22
Food Safety 101 – with COVID-19 impact included
- Host: Firedancer Coffee Consultants
- Time: 1 p.m. CST
- Register/Information: Firedancer website
- Description: Firedancer Coffee Consultants is offering a complimentary Food Safety 101 webinar, once per week thru the end of May. This 2-hour webinar will provide you an overview of food safety, its history, regulations and scientific aspects. We have added a special section on COVID-19 and how it may impact your coffee business. You’ll walk away with clear next steps, a template or two and most importantly, clarity on this complex subject. Food Safety 101 occurs several times. Please register for the date and time that works best for you.
Thursday, April 23
Barista Yoga Every Thursday
- Host: United Baristas, #BaristaCare
- Time: 10:30 a.m. GMT
- Register/Information: Event website
- Description: #BaristaCare is connecting the coffee community for a weekly yoga session led by yoga instructor Erin, Yoga Den London
Caravela Coffee Guided Farm Tour
- Host: Caravela Coffee
- Time: 12 p.m. EST
- Register/Information: Caravela Coffee Instagram @caravelacoffee
- Description: The Caravela Relationship Building team, which is usually traveling to farms with roasters to develop close relationships between roasters and producers, continues to work from home. Now, more than ever, those relationships need to be kept alive and strong. Therefore, they are organizing a weekly live farm tour via the @caravelacoffee Instagram account on Thursdays at 12:00 PM EST/6 PM CET. In these times that traveling is not possible, these live streams bring coffee farms closer for everyone interested, including end consumers. You will be able to see what a coffee farm looks like, learn about what they are doing and ask questions to a coffee producer.
Webinar: Home Roasters Roundtable
- Host: Royal Coffee
- Time: 11 a.m. Pacific
- Register/Information: Zoom registration
- Description:Join us for a discussion on home roasting best practices with The Crown’s Director of Roasting, Candice Madison, Creative Director Evan Gilman, and Education & Lab Manager, Chris Kornman. The discussion will include such topics as popular home roasters, what systems work best in which situations, and DIY fixes. The webinar will close with a Q&A. We will do our best to answer your questions at the end of the webinar, but encourage you to submit them in advance via the webinar registration form linked below.
Honduras Origin Report
- Host: Genuine Origin
- Time: 1-2 p.m. EST
- Register/Information: Zoom
- Description: Join Genuine Origin as we discuss the state of specialty coffee and sourcing fresh crop coffees in Honduras. This session will build off of Genuine Origin’s recent Honduras origin report (https://medium.com/@genuine_origin/origin-report-honduras-2020-1d8e2ad2dbcf). In this call we will hear from Arnold Rene Garcia Bustillo, commercial trader at Molinos de Honduras, SA, about trends in specialty coffee in Honduras and about the factors affecting coffee producers.
Digital AA Meeting for Coffee People
- Time: 4 p.m. CST every Thursday
- Register/Information: Zoom Channel 475-069-379
- Description: Weekly digital AA meeting for coffee people. All are welcome.
Friday, April 24
The Foxhole: Limitations of FOB Q&A
- Host: Red Fox Coffee Merchants
- Time: 11 a.m. Pacific
- Register/Information: Zoom
- Description: Come join us this Friday live from the Foxhole at 11am PT via Zoom! Whether you’re working from home, moving beans in the roastery, slinging to-go at a cafe, or enjoying some pajama time at your house, we’d love to hang out together and take some time away from the current news cycle and the stresses we’re all dealing with. This week, we’ll be exploring the limitations of FOB pricing as a benchmark, discussing how we pay for coffee, and talking through any questions you have around coffee pricing.
Monday, April 27
Boot Coffee Weekly Webinar
- Host: Boot Coffee
- Time: 8 a.m. PDT every Monday
- Register/Information: coffeecampus.com/blog
- Description: Weekly discussion with coffee experts working in various disciplines from farming to exporting/importing, roasting, and retailers. Open and transparent communication is essential right now. Join Boot Coffee for constructive and creative discussions exploring ways the coffee community continues to evolve and adapt and strategize.