Coming from a roster of 25 finalists announced last fall, the list of 2021 winners includes particularly strong representation from the South (Eastlick Coffee, Onyx Coffee Lab, Peach Coffee Roasters), Midwest (JBC Coffee Roasters, Modest Coffee, PT’s Coffee Roasting), and the Rockies/Plains (Big Creek Coffee Roasters, Huckleberry Roasters).
All coffees for the competition, now in its 11th year, are judged on flavor, with judges seeking “sweet, clean, well-developed body, balanced acidity and phenomenal aromatics.”
Yet roasters must also provide evidence that submissions meet or exceed Fairtrade premiums for prices paid; that the producers behind each coffee demonstrated sustainable practices; and that the roaster itself provides a positive and safe work environment while meeting numerous other baseline sustainability marks.
Winning roasters were honored last Friday evening in a ceremony held virtually due to the pandemic.
More on the submission criteria and judging process can be found here.
“By fermenting, curing, and crafting truly nourishing food, you create healthy communities better able to face both once in a century pathogens and the strains of everyday life,” Good Food Awards Founder Sarah Weiner told the guests. “It wouldn’t be long until good food becomes mainstream. Until then, you are the blueprint for this change.”
Here is the complete list of Good Food Award winners in the coffee category:
- Abracadabra Coffee Co. (Woodstock, Vermont), Mexico Finca Santa Cruz Natural
- Bend Roasting Co (Bend, Oregon), Layered Fermentation from Abore Washing Station Shatawene Village Sidamo
- Big Creek Coffee Roasters (Hamilton, Montana), Ethiopia Guji Uraga
- Bird Rock Coffee Roasters (San Diego), Cerro Azul
- Campos Coffee USA (Salt Lake City, Utah), Colombia La Negrita Natural Gesha
- Eastlick Coffee Company (Oldsmar, Florida), Sudan Rume, Inmaculada Coffee Farms
- Huckleberry Roasters (Denver), Phantom Limb Blend
- JBC Coffee Roasters (Madison, Wisconsin), Ardent Ethiopia Natural
- Modest Coffee (West Chicago, Illinois), The Collector: Costa Rica – Familia Monge
- Noble Coffee Roasting (Ashland, Oregon), Ethiopia ‘Benti Nenqa’
- Onyx Coffee Lab (Rogers, Arkansas), Panama Lamastus Family
- Peach Coffee Roasters (Alpharetta, Georgia), Costa Rica Cordillera de Fuego
- PT’s Coffee Roasting Company (Topeka, Kansas), Ethiopia Tigesit Waqa Natural
- Triple Coffee Co. (San Francisco), Pacamara Natural (Abel Giron, Honduras)